The DP/Flex rule may be the least appreciated rule in the ASA book. It’s similar to the American League baseball design rule, but much stronger from a substitution perspective. A full understanding of how Designated Players or DPs and Flexible Players work together in a formation gives softball coaches many tactical options to deal with a game as it changes.
The participant indexed within the tenth function within the lineup will play protection most effectively and may be known as a FLEX participant. The DP and the FLEX participant can play protection simultaneously. REMINDERS:
1) The DP can in no way be on DEFENSE ONLY. 2) The FLEX participant can in no way be on OFFENSE ONLY.
What is a Flex Player in Softball and Designated player in softball? Basically, the DP is a participant specified to BAT ONLY for one of the nine beginning protective players, however with a few extra protective options. Prior to the beginning of the sport, you have to pick out which protective participant you need the DP to bat for. You can check out our picks for Composite Fastpitch Softball Bat as well.
Basically, the displaced person could be a player selected to BAT just for one amongst the nine beginning defensive players, however with some extra defensive options. Before the beginning of the sport you need to opt for that defensive player you would like the DP to bat for.
This player becomes the FLEX and plays DEFENSE solely, but with some extra offensive options within the past, the DP was known as a DH (Designated Hitter) and will only bat. He/she has no defensive options. The DP gets listed in anybody of the 9 batting spots on the lineup card.
The FLEX player, for whom the displaced person is batting for, continually is listed because the tenth player on the rock bottom of the lineup card. And the Flex player has to follow some specific rules that are only appropriate for him to maintain those rules.
1) A displaced person ought not to be used. You’ll be able to play the sport with nine beginning players on the road-up card. This should be declared on the lineup card bestowed to the house plate official before the beginning of the game. You cannot switch and visit a DP later within the game. You might consider checking out the 52 300 Softballs to use here.
2) A team mistreatment of the DP starts the game with ten Players on the line up. The DP is to be listed collectively of the highest 9 players with the tenth player invariably being referred to as the Flex, and must be listed within the tenth spot on the road up card. In addition, you can check the recommendations for the Classic M Softball.
4) Example: ought to the DP commit to playing defense one playing period for the outfielder, then the left fielder sits on the bench, however, continues to bat in his/her traditional listed spot on the road up card, besides the displaced person batting in his/her normal listed spot on the lineup card.
Whenever the DP is enjoying defense, the player being contended for is taken into account to still be within the game, but “temporarily” on the bench and still needs to bat in his/her normal spot.
5) The player listed in tenth place on the squad card is called the “Flexible” player and plays only DEFENSE.
The displaced person conjointly the} Flex are often enjoying defense at a similar time; it’s simply that the Flex doesn’t bat. The DP may be playing defense for any of the opposite prime nine players listed on the lineup card as mentioned above.
6) You will be able to replace the badly treated DP and/or Flexible Substitute Rules and return quality with any player on the bench who has not yet entered the match. DP and Flex will then also follow the standard re-entry rule.
DP is an attacking player and must be in the same polishing position for the whole game. ƒ Name of the player for that DP hits (FLEX) will be placed in 10th place in the line up. If substituted with a substitute, DP position is still in range. Standard DP or Alternate DP can be entered once, as long as the DP comes back to its original position in the polishing order.
DP can be replaced with: Pinch runner, Batter FLEX ƒ In any case, the DP has left the game, with only one item allowed. The stateless person will ne’er get on DEFENSE ONLY. The FLEX PLAYER can never play as offensive only. The DP and FLEX PLAYER can never be on offense at constant times.
The DP and therefore the FLEX can play defense at the same time. The STARTER and the SUBSTITUTE can’t be within the game at the same time. The beginning DP and FLEX PLAYER every have one return even as the other starting player.